Highlands / Off the Beaten Track (8 days)
Iceland 2017 – Travel period from 20 June-20 September
Transfer Keflavik International Airport to Reykjavík
A representative from B2Iceland will meet & greet guests on arrival at the international airport of Keflavik.
Direct transfer to Reykjavik.
In the morning, you will meet your guide with a specially modified vehicle to take you to the highlands, off the beaten track.
You will drive to the South Coast, stopping many places along the way, ending the day at the Glacier Lagoon.
- Seljalandsfoss waterfall: a unique waterfall 60 meters high with a foot path behind it at the bottom of the cliff, but with a thin cascade. It is the only known waterfall of its kind, where it is possible to walk behind it.
- Skogafoss: the 62m-high waterfall of Skogafoss topples over a rocky cliff at the western edge of Skogar in dramatic style. Climb the steep staircase alongside for giddying views downwards, or walk on foot of the falls, shrouded in sheets of mist and rainbows.
- Dyrhólaey arch: one of the most recognizable natural formation is the rocky plateau and huge stone sea arch at Dyrhólaey, which rises dramatically from the surrounding plain.
- Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach: where you can find a beautiful black sand beach and its basalt columns and surrounding cliffs full of caves and puffins.
- Fjaðrárgljúfur: darkly picturesque canyon of two million years old, carved out by a river.
During the road, you will see some mythic places such as Hella, the most active volcano in Iceland or the famous Eyjafjallajökull Glacier.
Lunch is enroute- not included. The guide will stop at a Restaurant with them where is best fitted and they will pay direct to the Restaurant.
Overnight at the Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon
South Highlands – Strutur
At 09h30 you will go to a boat tour on the Glacier Lagoon and the The majestic Glacier Lagoon -Fjallsárlón which is an iceberg lagoon at the south end of the glacier Vatnajökull. On the lagoon, you can see floating icebergs that calve from the edge of the glacier.
For the lunch, your guide will be in charge of buying something tasty for you and he will pick a good spot.
Stop at supermarket in Kirkjubæjarklaustur to buy supplies for Dinner + Breakfast + lunch the day after. Guide will have a cooler in the car to keep the food cold.
The South Fjallabaksleid (‘Fjallabaksleid sydri’) is an old highland route north of Myrdalsjokull glacier, connecting Rangarvellir (the eastern part of the South Iceland lowlands) to Skaftartunga (areas nothwest of Myrdalsjokull). This is a popular mountain track for hiking and jeeps and is easy to walk and drive. The area is very dry with scant vegetation, as it is situated between mountains that have a strong volcanic activity. The mountains have left endless amounts of ash, sand and lava in the area, now covered in moss. Rhyolite is the characteristic petrological berg type colouring the landscape grey-pinkish with endless shades of other colours.
We drive Fjallabak south to Strútur HUT. Beautiful Hiking tracks in the area and a hot spring that we will hike to (we provide towels). The Hot Spring Strútslaug is a hidden gem only reachable by hiking from the hut.
Strútslaug is a hot spring that’s been used for bathing for decades, even centuries. It is located between two glaciers, Torfajökull and Mýrdalsjökull in the remote interior where black sands dominate the landscape, with small slivers of lush green valleys and white glacier ice caps fading into the skyline.
Landmannalaugar / Highlands
Landmannalaugar is a vast area of stunning and unique beauty, the true heart of Iceland’s southern Highlands.
Once in Landmannalaugar we take a short hike. The hike is around 2hours, and is 4.3 KM. The hike has some Uneven parts and is partly on rugged lava. The landscape is, Rough lava with obsidian and moss. Variable mountains surround the area. Brennisteinsalda is the most spectacular one, with a steaming area at its foot. Multiple colors are all over, included the Green Gorge/Grænagil.
Stop at Ljótipollur which is an explosion crater lake, situated in the southernmost crater in the Veidivotn fissure system. Strangely enough, Ljotipollur’s name means ‘Ugly Puddle’, since this crater anything but, being beautifully red with the deep trout-filled lake at its bottom a high edge on its sides.
Overnight at the Highland Center
Pick up lunch-box at the front desk before heading out. We have a long day of 10-12h on Sprengisandur Route, and no stores along the way!
To Icelanders, the name Sprengisandur conjures up images of outlaws, ghosts and long sheep drives across the barren wastes. The Sprengisandur route (F26) is the longest north–south trail, and crosses bleak desert moors that can induce a shudder even today in a 4WD.
Sprengisandur offers some wonderful views of Vatnajökull, Tungnafellsjökull and Hofsjökull, as well as Askja and Herðubreið from the western perspective. An older route, now abandoned, lies a few kilometers west of the current one.
Night in Kea Hotel Akureyri
Day excursion to the Lake Myvatn with a stop in Goðafoss Waterfall which is one of the most spectacular waterfalls in Iceland. The water of the river Skjálfandafljót falls from a height of 12 meters over a width of 30 meters.
Mývatn offers a unique natural environment. With large contrasts and small distances, you can experience the most and the best that Iceland has to offer. Large open spaces with roads and walkways lead travelers to interesting locations, were volcanic eruptions have played a crucial role in the formation of the landscape. Whether the plan is to enjoy the landscape, examine unique natural phenomena or take a closer look at the plant and bird life, Mývatn has it all.
Overnight at Laxa Hotel
Myvatn – Akureyri – Reykjavik
Easy morning in Akureyri then you will go to Dettifoss waterfall which is the greatest volume of any waterfall in Europe, 500 cubic metres of water per second plunges over the edge. Dettifoss is 45 m high and 100m wide.
After that, you will come back to Akureyri and enjoy the city before leaving from Akueyri airport to Reykjavik.
Transfer from the domestic airport of Reykjavik to the hotel. Free time to enjoy Reykjavik in the afternoon and evening.
Overnight in Reykjavík
Blue Lagoon – Departure
Pick up from hotel your hotel in Reykjavík at 09:15. Transfer to the Blue lagoon. Entry booked at 10:00.
Blue Lagoon – it’s a fantastic place to enjoy thanks to its geothermal water which has a unique composition, featuring three active ingredients – Silica, Algae & Minerals. The blue color comes from the silica and the way it reflects sunlight.
KEEP IN MIND:
- Stay hydrated. Staying in warm waters for long periods can cause dehydration. Remember to drink, before and during your visit.
- Use conditioner. The water does not harm your hair, but it will make it dry. So use plenty of conditioner, before and after you enter the water.
- Remove jewelry. The water can affect items of jewelry, so please remove them before you enter the lagoon. You can keep them in your private locker.
- Skip the goggles. There is no visibility beneath the surface, so goggles and underwater cameras are unnecessary.
- Bring sunglasses. On sunny days, we highly recommend that you bring sunglasses, as sunlight reflects strongly off the water.
Lunch at Lava restaurant (Blue Lagoon’s restaurant) at 12h.
Departure from Blue Lagoon at 14:00
Check in at airport at 14:30 for flight.